Wednesday 16 June 2010

Fox Tales

Now the garden is full of flowers and alive with the sight and sound of bees of many types, also several baby birds including robins, blue and great tits, blackbirds, wrens, and long-tailed tits.

Another fox also walks through the garden mid-afternoons, smaller, more ginger than red, probably a female. It didn't have the same strutting confidence of the rich red one, but even so walked through at a leisurely pace. They both seem very at home. I guess they are the same ones who feed here at night.

It's wonderful to see them, but at the same time worrying, because they pass so near to the ducks and fear always hangs heavy within me, like a lead weight, and creeps up to tickle the back of my throat, and then creeps down my arms weakening them, and sending tickly feelings into the palms of my hands. The first time I did nothing but stood with my heart in my mouth and leaden limbs. Now I am able to gather myself together and make my way into the garden, where I stand between the fox and ducks. Neither take any notice of me, or each other!

I am reminded of the time a few years back when we had a lot of ducklings in the garden, and were visited by a fox with designs on them. I saw him cross the garden and I rushed out, as I did so I heard Mrs Duck quacking. She managed to get all of her ducklings on the pond and I breathed a sigh of relief. Suddenly, she flew out of the water and straight at the fox, in so doing she played right into his hands, because as she flew from the pond her ducklings panicked and scrambled from all sides out of the pond, and fled in all directions all over the garden peeping loudly, and by so doing told Mr Fox their positions.

Mrs Duck realised. as did I, what was about to happen: both she and I made straight for the wily fox, he ran right between us after a duckling. The next several minutes were spent chasing the fox around the garden as he chased the ducklings. Eventually, gathering up three in his mouth and leaving several others dead or dying, he left.

Mrs Duck made her way back to the pond with her two remaining ducklings, she was very flustered and I was worried about her, and wished the pond were bigger with an island and duck house in the middle, but at least for today and now, Mrs Duck is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment