Tuesday 10 August 2010

Autumn Changes

We are traveling along the A10 to Addenbrookes. The hawthorne berries are hanging heavy on the may trees, weighing down the branches. Whether it is a sign of a hard winter to come, or not, I am unsure, but I do know that it bodes well for our feathered friends. Large bunches of sycamore keys, prettily pale green, and so prolific standing out from the darker green leaves of the tree, each bunch settled lower than their adjacent leaves. I just noticed the beautiful blue-black of the sloe berries thickly filling the spaces along their prickly, leafy branches.

This summer, my life changed. At the end of May I was diagnosed with a form of lung cancer, it is caused by a gene mutation (why? how? I don’t know, but would be interested to), and interestingly primarily affects non-smoking women. I don’t know what my future holds now. I do know that although my flesh may be weak my spirit is strong and I shall fight this with all my might. I am a strong person and have my family firmly behind me. I will continue with my nature notes. Writing them has given me much pleasure, and to know at the same time, they are giving pleasure to my readers makes it all the more special.

The rose bay willow herb flowers are over, and instead we have whirls of feathery seeds, all intermingled with the down of the thistles, which grow hard against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment