Thursday 2 August 2012

Scarface, the last squirrel

Often I have written about the squirrels in our garden, once more their numbers have suddenly depleted, from having six visit us at any one time, we have dropped to just one. I don't know what has happened to the others.

The remaining squirrel is our old friend with the scarred face. I have no idea what caused such a terrible wound It is still a problem to him as it has never healed properly, although it looks as if it has, but it doesn't seem to bother him. The scar is a bright orangey colour and runs across the left hand side of his face from above his eye, across his cheek and on down to the lower section on the left side of his head.

Another Squirrel -- Not Scarface

Most of the time it looks well healed, other times the whole left side of his head swells up and his left eye which is larger than the right eye due to being stretched open by the scarring, is filled with pus that oozes from the once again infected wound. He seems unconcerned by this and just brushes the pus away from his eye. I am constantly surprised and pleased that he recovers from these infections and has lasted so long.

I wish I could help him, but I know as tame as he is he would never allow himself to be caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment