Wednesday 14 November 2012

A spectacular old man's beard on the way to Papworth

A trip to Papworth, no motorways, just A and B roads through the beautiful English autumn countryside. The  many tones and shades of copper, bronze, brown, orange, green, red and yellow were reminiscent of an artists pallet, and made the journey pass quickly.

The most spectacular sight was for me an old man's beard plant, Clematis vitalba, it is a member of the Ranunculaceae family. It has wonderful soft, white, stranded, fluffy seed heads. they remind me of miniature Father Christmas wigs and always make me smile, today however I was amazed by the size of the plant and the sheer number of seed heads. The shrub it rested upon was taller than I am and wider than both of my arms outstretched, there were hundreds of densely packed seed heads on it, so much so, I was unable to recognise the shrub it had covered.

It is known as old man's beard because it's appearance is reminiscent of an elderly man's beard. It is also known as the devil's plant because of the way it covers and chokes other plants. Many people know it as travellers joy.

The flowers are a very pale creamy, greenish colour and in the U.K. are perfumed. They attract short tongued bees and insects.

The dried seed heads are reputed to readily catch a spark and if so could help with lighting your fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment