Saturday 24 May 2014

A Jealous Duck

Wow! What a morning.

Walked into the kitchen for the first time today, just in time to see the roof duck take off and fly from the garden. I haven't seen her for a few days and felt sad that I hadn't noticed her to feed her.

A few minutes later as I started making breakfast, turning toward the side window I once more saw the roof duck rise from the side lawn chased by the male belonging to the larger of the two brown female mallards that visit. The roof duck must have been very hungry to keep returning so quickly. I threw a mug of seed onto the path under the side window and hastened to fetch some bread, wetting it I moved to the window and was pleased to see that for a third time, she had returned and was eating the seed --- which she quickly left to eat the bread.

As I was still breaking and throwing the wet bread, I noticed No-tail the pigeon on the lawn, he tends to keep away from the ducks since he was set upon by an angry male. Feeling sorry for him I ceased throwing the bread to the roof duck and instead tossed the next few pieces to No-tail, as I threw the third piece I heard a quack and looked toward the duck who was watching me. I threw the next piece again to No-tail on the lawn and to my amazement with angry sounding quacks the female roof duck took off, flew onto the lawn and straight at No-tail who beat a hasty retreat into an oak tree opposite the front gate. Whereupon the roof duck returned to her food under the window, but, and I tell you this with a smile on my face, not before a magpie had flown down grabbed an enormous beakful of her food and flown away.

This is another example of animal behaviour reminding me of human behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment