Saturday 17 April 2010

Pigeons

The pigeons have nested again. I was standing admiring the new buds on a low-hanging branch of an ornamental tree, when as I turned, there, right by my face, was a pigeon, sitting on her nest in the mahonia. The nest was not at all tucked away, but very visible. I must have walked and stood by it so many times without even noticing.

It was very strange; I was less than six inches from her. We stared at each other for several minutes, but she took no notice of me at all. I suppose it is because she is No Tail’s partner, and has lived in the garden, nested and bred here for some years and is very used to us. I said aloud to her: “Okay, so you’re going to be a mum again, then I’d better let you feed with all my other birds, instead of clapping my hands at you”. She took no notice, of course. Now I feed her and No Tail along with the rest of the feathered and furred friends.

A new pair of pigeons tried to nest in a tall goldenish conifer in the garden, but No Tail would have none of it. He spends quite a lot of his time chasing them from the garden, and especially from the food should they dare to approach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment