Tuesday 4 May 2010

Of Blue Tits and Oak Leaves

There is much going on in the garden at present. For the last two days we have had a kestrel swooping down on our little feathered friends. I know the kestrel needs to eat, but I will be glad when it moves on. Yesterday I spent a worrying few hours, when I thought the kestrel had taken the tit parents. I was so relieved when I spotted the pair; beaks full, entering their little home one after the other.

I have been worried about the blue tits finding enough food for their young as they chiefly feed on the caterpillars found on the oak leaves. Apparently the timing of blue tit young are tied to the appearance of oak leaves, but this year the hatchlings came slightly before the oak leaves, however the diligent parents managed to find tiny green caterpillars on all sorts of bushes and trees in the garden, and I also saw them taking beaks full of insects back to the nest. So, no doubt, the young are feeding and growing. As for the parents, they are gorging themselves on sunflower seeds, ground up peanuts and suet.

I have noticed the new leaves on the oak trees. They are just unfurling and are an olive green, very soft, and delicately shiny. Amongst them are clusters of flowers hanging mossy yellow, green and brown in colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment