Tuesday 19 July 2011

Majestic Clouds, Lavender and a Jay Feather

A glorious day, mild and almost windless.

No squirrels visiting today -- where are they?

Today the sky has been so beautiful, a striking mid-blue with great mountains of cloud that look like snow covered peaks, slowly crossing it. I am drawn outside to feel the air on my skin and to stand spellbound and to gaze awestruck at the majesty and beauty of the clouds.


As I walk out of the end conservatory door, I feel a wonderful feeling sweep through me: everywhere is so lush and green -- so many shades from so many plants, bushes and trees and the smell of lavender from a nearby plant is amazing -- who would ever believe one small plant could produce such a strong perfume? I move nearer to take a closer look and find the plant covered in bees. Brilliant.


Turning back to the conservatory door, I look up and see the old bent apple tree, it is so heavy with fruit that its boughs now rest on the lawn. The uppermost reaches of the tree are prettily decked with a mid-pink clematis and a lovely pink and golden yellow honeysuckle, both of which have scrambled up unbidden.

I notice a robin perched on an apple busily pecking; I expect in time to find that apple laying on the ground, rotting where the small hole is, but it won't be wasted as the blackbirds, thrushes or even the fox will finish it.

I feel so lucky to be alive and find so much pleasure in the wonders of the natural world, as I turn to go back indoors, I glance down and see a beautiful stripey blue feather from a jay's wing. I fetch my camera and photograph the clouds, the lavender and the feather.


Looking out of the side kitchen window I see the robin is still there and on the branch next to him is a female blackcap with her little brown cap. On the cherry tree is a small flock of about a dozen long-tailed tits, they look young and must be this year's; they are such pretty little birds. While on the jasmine behind is a female bullfinch, yesterday I watched her colourful mate in the amelanchier.

No Tail, the pigeon, has just arrived and is waiting for food, I soak some brown bread in water and throw it out to him, he hurries over and gobbles it down.


We have been away for ten days arriving home Sunday evening. My bucket list includes seeing as much of my family as I can, so once again we have been in East Yorkshire enjoying its countryside and coast, while staying with my daughter Angie, and her two young daughters Meg and  Immi -- a really enjoyable visit.

However, I digress, the reason for saying about being away was because on the day we left here to travel to Yorkshire, I was very worried about No Tail. We noticed him early in the morning sitting on a table on the back lawn, this was unusual behaviour. In all the years he has lived here I have never seen him settle on this table before. He didn't look his usual perky self, he was sitting hunched up with his feathers all fluffed out and his head down, he looked very dejected. We kept an eye on him and every time we checked he was still there and in the same position. We left fully expecting that we would never see him again so poorly did he look, but to my great joy on our return he was the first creature we saw and as perky as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment