Tuesday 12 July 2011

Yorkshire Verges in Summertime

Travelling through east Yorkshire I was spellbound by the sheer beauty of the hedgerows and verges. The diversity of plants in flower and their beauty gave me such a feeling of wonder.

I shall not be able to remember them all, but these I know, because I wrote them down as I saw them.
Here is the list and if ever you are lucky enough to find yourself in East Yorkshire then travel the back roads and lanes and enjoy the magic you will find there.
I saw: vetch, red clover,white clover, tall buttercups, small ground hugging buttercups,scabious, patches and drifts of stunning blue geraniums, tall grasses so good for butterflies, bright yellow tom thumb, creamy yellow toad flax, bright red poppies, purple thistles, creamy white umbellifers, red edged sorrel delicious in salads or just to nibble. At the back of the verges stately rose bay willow herb in huge drifts and by a field gate an enormous flock of chaffinches dust bathing.

The hedgerows are wonderful, they are alive with flowers. Great trails of heavenly scented honeysuckle hanging heavily down, blackberry blossom prettily peeping through, large white upturned bells of convolvulus such a nuisance in our gardens but so attractive in the hedgerows and creeping through the verges near to the road edges the tiny pale pink convolvulus.

Standing proudly at intervals above the hedges are trees of different types, oak trees which I am always so happy to see and sycamores which I am ambivalent about,because they are not  a native tree and therefore not a great support for our insects, I would much rather see oak, birch, hawthorn etc. However I did notice how heavy they were with huge bunches of sycamore keys brightly green, tightly packed and hanging heavily down thrusting themselves through the leaves and waiting to ripen and swirl and dance round and round as they twirl their way to the ground. The new shoots were a most attractive orange, which I found appealing. The elders also are heavy with fruit as yet still green, but very plentiful.

The verges, the hedges, the trees were truly magical, but just as enchanting was the sight that met my eyes each time I raised them, because all I have described was bordering a patchwork of fields so green and lush that you knew if cows fed on them then their milk would be so rich and creamy.

This is the joy of travelling the narrow twisty roads of East Yorkshire in the summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment