Sunday 8 January 2012

An abundance of birds and a nervous pheasant

A cold January day. Light to medium cloud cover, sadly no sun.

So many birds today, glancing out of the window mid morning I saw a pheasant, moorhen and a pigeon all feeding together. A pair of long tailed tits were bathing in an upturned dustbin lid, while blackbirds were lining up at another birdbath and the robin, a great tit, a blue tit and a female blackbird were all bathing in the pond.

Little wrens have been scouting for food on the bank, around the water's edge in the pond, and by the bird bath near the hanging feeding station. Four goldfinches were seen in a border across the lawn, I am always pleased to see these pretty red cheeked birds in the garden.

Although pleased to see them, I was dismayed to see only two long tailed tits and four goldfinches because at this time of the year, we are used to seeing them in flocks.


Bluetits have been in and out of boxes, a pair of robins caught my attention by their loud singing and when I glanced out of the patio door there they were, not a foot from me and about six inches from each other, red chests proudly pushed out, heads thrown back, beaks open and singing vociferously.

The pheasants are back and forth all day for hand outs and are to be seen almost any time from the window, by visually searching amongst the borders. The young powder blue backed pheasant, who is my favourite is still nervous around the emperor, despite the fact that there is now no difference in size and even the length and breadth of their tails is similar. Sadly this started some years back when they were tiny handfuls of fluff, for some reason as a youngsters he was ostracised by his siblings and mother. He was constantly pecked and driven away by all, he took to existing by following his family at a distance and skirting the edges of  their normal lives.

 He learned to come for food when the others weren't around, I felt sorry for him, always on the fringes never part of the family, I worried for him on cold nights, when I knew the others would be cuddled together, probably close to their mother, but each morning there he was, waiting patiently under the window and so it has remained and if I look out and he is not there in the morning, I only have to call to him and he will appear from some part of the garden and come running across for his breakfast, and I feel thankful that none of the foxes have managed to capture him.

No comments:

Post a Comment