Tuesday 3 January 2012

A Wild Day

The wind is strong and wild and the rain is lashing down, the garden is almost empty of wildlife. A brave robin ventured out for food and a solitary pheasant also, apart from that I saw nothing until at lunch time I noticed the moorhen perched precariously in the bare and strongly blown branches of the old bent over apple tree.

The birds must have had a tough time last night it being so very wet and windy. I feel sure some must have succumbed to the bad weather which is continuing even as I write this, also their very absence leads me to wonder about their safety. Birds are such tiny creatures with a much higher metabolic rate than us and therefore burn their food calories much faster, which means they are unable to go too long without replenishment, consequently I find their absence from the bird tables, fat balls and peanut holders a cause for concern.

Birds bring gardens alive and without their presence the world would be a sadder, duller place.

Strangely the fox didn't finish his food last night, this is the first time I have known this to happen, I shall wait with interest to see what happens this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment