Monday 19 March 2012

A sorry but hopeful tale

When we first moved here I planted hardy geraniums and daffodils all along our boundary, only to find they were disappearing. One day I caught a man with his gardening tools digging them up, I explained we had planted them and they were on our land, but he stubbornly refused to stop and became aggressive. He said they were wayside flowers and he had every right to take them. In the end there was nothing left to say, and discretion being the better part of valour, I retreated, hoping that his ill gotten gains gave him as much pleasure as they had given us and so many passers by.


I vowed that never again would I plant on the borders again, however eventually I changed my mind and after a few years had passed I planted the bank opposite to our home with snowdrops and daffodils, this was not only for our pleasure but also for the enjoyment of anyone passing down the lane.

There are a great number of daffodils and they make a brilliant show having increased in number over the years. Sadly last Sunday I noticed a stretch bereft of flowers and realised it was Mother's Day. Later when I looked again I saw a second bare stretch.

This was better than a few years ago when all of the daffodils disappeared overnight --- once again this happened the night before Mother's Day.

It is strange how people think that plants and flowers on the borders of peoples gardens are theirs for the taking.


No comments:

Post a Comment