Wednesday 16 May 2012

Hungry fox

I was late with the fox food this evening, while I was in the kitchen preparing it I glanced out of the window and saw the female fox skirting the edge of the pond and starting up the bank, nose near the ground. She was less than 15" from the nest of the blackcap, which was sited on the ground --- I knocked on the window and she looked up at me, then carried on. Feeling worried I knocked harder, she looked up at me and I said "No" very firmly and at the same time lifted my hand and wagged my finger at her, I also shook my head at her, she backed off and as quickly as I could, I fetched two biscuits and threw them out of the window. It did the trick, she moved across to eat them and we finished the food and took it out.

I did think if she was going to eat the blackcap nestlings, in the long run it would happen, I couldn't watch all night. This morning I was relieved to see the blackcaps feeding their young.

No comments:

Post a Comment