Tuesday 23 October 2012

Autumn colours and a green iridescent beetle

Pleasantly surprised down the garden this afternoon by the autumn scene which greeted me, many leaves had fallen from the birch tree and these had formed a soft yellow carpet, from which sprang many flowers still in bloom, fuschias, erigerons, michaelmas daisies, tiny ground hugging blue campanulas their bell shaped flowers resting on the leafy expanse, pansies, geraniums and pretty cyclamens.


The earth where the badger had his path was bare and heavily compacted, as I looked something flashed and caught my eye, it was a beautiful green, iridescent beetle. I wished I had my camera with me, but no sooner had I wished it than the beetle ran under the golden leafy ground cover, despite searching for him, he was too quick for me and apart from that one beautiful flashing view I was unable to find him again

I looked them up and was interested to read that the hard surfaces that we see on these iridescent beetles are composed of many layers of little plate like structures that all face in different directions, these layers bend and reflect incoming light, underneath these layers is a further layer of pigment, which enhances the effect of the iridescence.

While being interesting this still didn't answer my questioning mind,  it told me how it happened but not exactly where the beautiful colour came from, I understood there was a further layer of pigment below the plates but this still didn't explain it fully enough for me. I then read that for many species this is still an open topic of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment