Wednesday 8 May 2013

Pretty Garden Acers

The acers are coming into leaf, I sometimes wonder if they should have a place in a garden that is primarily for wildlife - should I not have planted hawthorn or something else that would be much more wildlife friendly? Yet when I see them in all their stunningly fine, summer and autumn leaves, I know why they are here. They are just so very beautiful,

One is a deep, burgundy red, with finely divided leaves, it has grown slowly and strangely, and although it is fifteen years old, is but two feet tall, however and here's the strange part it is almost four feet across. The second one is a breathtaking bright orange colour, it was bought for fifty pence (along with  two others at the same price, which did not survive), it was in a very poor state when I bought it, less than a foot tall and leafless, but in the time I have had it (about ten years) it has reached five feet tall and stands proudly at the back of the border, glowing brightly even on cloudy days.

The third came from a dear friend who was going to get rid of it, and I must admit it did look dead and I didn't give it much hope. However here we are, some time later and it is stunningly beautiful, mostly cream with pink touches and I'm so glad to have both the acer and her friendship. The fourth acer is slowest to break bud and is only just showing red leaf tips, it is the largest of my acers with wonderful summer colouring and amazing autumn shades, it means a lot to me as it was a present on our golden wedding anniversary from my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment