Monday 7 April 2014

Butterflies, Robin Hatchlings and Shelducks

So many butterflies this morning, many different sized whites, beautiful yellow brimstones, small tortoiseshells, peacocks and both male and female orange tips. I read recently that brimstones feed on buckthorn, I have none in my garden, however the garden is full of brimstones as it has been for twenty seven years, so I guess there must be something here they survive on, I wonder if it is honesty.

I was delighted to see a robin collecting food and carrying it back to his/her nest, these must be the first young birds to hatch this year. I shall enjoy seeing them when they leave the nest and watching their breast redden as they grow.

The field at the end of the garden is still partially flooded and a few days ago I spotted a pair of shelducks on the water, I wonder how long they will stay. The roof ducks are still daily visitors and we are also delighted by a pair of mallards, they drop in to feed and then make haste to leave, because if the male of the roof ducks spots them they are attacked and driven from the garden. it is a shame they are not able to feel at ease here because she is so tiny and a pretty little duck, she is however very timid.

No comments:

Post a Comment