Tuesday 5 August 2014

Willow Warbler,Young Goldfinches and Lone Female Pheasant

Willow warbler again in the pineapple broom shrub (Cytisis Battandieri), but also present were young goldfinches. Pleased to see these as we see the adult goldfinches every day in the garden, I'm sure they are nesting somewhere here, but I have no idea where. The main difference between the adult and the young is the absence of the striking red face, found only in the adult birds.

Checking out of the back bedroom window I was amazed to see  the hazel alive with birds, blue and great tits, robins, blackbirds and surprisingly a family of blackcaps. Usually when I look out of this window my eyes are fixed on the flint wall, because this is where I usually see the short tailed field voles. In future I shall make sure I check the trees and shrubs as well.

I did notice while looking into the hazel at the birds, that all the nuts have disappeared already, either eaten or stored for winter by the resident squirrels. It seems churlish to begrudge them, after all they are unable to go the shops and buy anymore.

Pleased to see the lone female pheasant wandering round the garden again today, I'd feel even more pleased if there were more of them as there used to be in past years.

No comments:

Post a Comment