Friday 1 August 2014

Early Morning Female Pheasant Visitor

Six a.m. on this bright sunny morning, a clear, cloudless sky and there as I looked out was a plump, well rounded female pheasant, meandering across the middle lawn. Suddenly she spotted me watching her and from giving the appearance of being a ball she quickly became a line, her neck stretched up and her whole body lengthening to keep up with it. She stared in my direction and I in turn froze.

We stayed motionless for a few minutes until she, not sure whether I was a real person or not, decided against it and moved. Still she kept her body and neck stretched and her head held high, keeping her head at the same angle she took three steps to one side. Now she waited again still watching me, I didn't move. After a short while she turned her still long body, keeping her neck stretched, her head still held high she slowly walked away, while keeping her eye still fixed on me.

I thought she would disappear into the shrubs, but no, still at full stretch, eye still watching me, she turned and walked down the lawn where she disappeared under the bendy old apple tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment