Tuesday 14 December 2010

Dunnocks Mating

There are fieldfares in the cotoneaster and holly. They are such large and pretty members of the thrush family, and so welcome in my garden.

A surprising sight this late morning was dunnocks mating. Later, I was drawn to the window by the insistent one note call of a dunnock, and looking out I saw a flighty female performing for three males, who in their ardour were caught between paying court to her and chasing off their rivals.

After a few minutes it all died down and the young (three years old) pheasant came to feed. He came alone and it is a couple of days since I have seen his father, whom I call the emperor, on account of his regal attitude and beautiful colouring. There has been the sound of shooting in the nearby fields and I hope he is safe. He has been with us for so many years I would hate for him to end up on someone’s plate. He looks glorious wandering around outside.

The fox has been coming very late, my fault because I have been slow to get his food ready. I must make a greater effort in future. We rarely have more than one at a time now,although we are still visited by at least two. The bright white of the snow makes them easier to watch during these dark nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment