Saturday 11 December 2010

Young Squirrel


The squirrels are very lively today. There are four of them: two fully grown fat ones who climb on to the kitchen window ledge and bang on the window; and two smaller thin ones. At first, I thought the thin squirrels were a pair that had happened upon the garden by chance and found the feeding station, but now I think they are the youngsters of the older, fatter pair.

The young ones stir up the older squirrels, quite literally running rings around them. The younger pair have been nervous of people, but they clear food from the bird tables and the ground, and from a distance, they beg for more. Today, however, saw a change in their behavior when one of them jumped on the window ledge and sat there watching me. I waved to him and picked up some food, gently opening the window so as not to alarm him. I expected him to leap away, but instead he snatched the food and then fled. I hope, in time, he will learn to take food as gently as the older pair do.

No comments:

Post a Comment