Wednesday 15 December 2010

New Animal Behaviours


Intrigued, I watched a new behavior by the jay today. He stood on a rotten branch and pecked at it breaking pieces off and dropping them to the ground. I have not seen this before and wondered if he was looking for grubs or insects to supplement his winter diet.

I was amused by a squirrel who when I opened the window stood underneath and watched me. I reached for a biscuit, broke off a piece and tossed it toward him. Quick as a flash he stepped forward, his arms shot out and he caught it. I would have liked to see if he would repeat this new behavior, but as soon as he had the biscuit piece it was in his mouth and he was off.

With much pleasure today, I watched a treecreeper on the birch tree making his way from the bottom upward, then flying down to near the base of the tree and starting again.

I also saw a ten-strong charm of pretty red-faced goldfinches in the birch tree this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment