Tuesday 15 March 2011

Blue Tits and Female Pheasant

A new pair of blue tits have arrived at the nesting box outside the conservatory. I saw them checking it out yesterday. I don't know what has happened to the pair who built a nest there a few weeks ago, they haven't been around lately.

Today the new pair have been very busy clearing out all of the still fresh nesting material carefully collected and put in by their predecessors so recently. I hope this pair will stay and breed.

This morning the female pheasant ran across the lawn to the feeding station as I was still putting out the food, and greedily gobbled it up. This was a first as she usually hangs back, hiding in the bushes, then creeping across when she thinks she is unobserved, and scurrying away at the first sign of a human being.


I think she must have been very hungry to approach as she did, perhaps she is egg laying. Whatever the reason it still gave me a warm feeling to think that she trusted me enough to approach in my presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment