Monday 14 March 2011

Great Spotted Woodpeckers

Two great spotted woodpeckers spent several minutes in the birch tree this morning. I spent so long watching them that by the time I had gathered my wits and fetched my camera one of them had flown away!


Later in the morning I watched a thrush collecting nesting material on and around the side lawn; the nest is being built in the shrubs in front of the greenhouse.

It was interesting to see the three pheasants, two male and one female, feeding together at tea time today, usually by now there is great rivalry between the males, but at the moment there seems to be a truce. I see the female several times a day now, sometimes she is by herself at other times with one or the other or, as today, even both of the males. Unusually, she doesn't seem to have any preference, however we will see as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment