Friday 4 March 2011

Catkins and Cones

Pleased to see a pair of pheasants feeding again this morning and look forward to seeing their chicks later on.

Down the lane to lean over the bridge and watch the river, it is still quite high and fascinating to watch as it rushes along.

Further along the lane I passed a small larch tree. It looked so pretty with its fresh yellow catkins and last year's brown cones still attached. Each one is such a contrast to the other and the visual effect so pleasing that I always have to stop and admire it.


I love all trees but of all trees I think larch trees, oaks and birches are my favourite, and best of all is the mighty oak because it supports so much wildlife. It is hard to choose between the larch and birch for second place.

The larch also supports some wildlife and as I have already said is such a pretty tree, it gives us both catkins and cones while the birch in its turn gives wonderful autumn colour with its butter yellow leaves, it also supports wild life and of course has catkins. I have yet to see any tree look as stunning as the birch tree when it is brightly white after a hard frost, the blue sky is behind it and the sun shining strongly on it, picking out the frost and making it sparkle and glitter. Breathtakingly beautiful.

So I think the larch and birch must tie in second place.

No comments:

Post a Comment