Monday 18 April 2011

Evening Visitors

It has been a glorious day and now at 20:10 pm it is still quite mild outside. The fox food is out on the lawn and as I sit by the patio window waiting for him, I am slightly alarmed to see the pheasant, he has turned up for a late supper. Do I feed him, ignore him or shoo him away? Shooing him away won't work, because he won't go, he'll just keep coming back to the window where I'm sitting. Ignoring him won't be any better, as he will just stay where he is and keep flapping his wings at me and calling at the top of his voice. So I decide to quickly feed him. I stand up and as I do so, he knows and we both rush to the kitchen window. Me to throw supper to his eager beak already uplifted and waiting, and him to look so pretty while he pecks it all up. It is as though he knows it is late and he shouldn't be here, he is very nervy and jumpy, constant little movements of his wings and while he pecks he hurries and keeps looking about him.

I watch for the fox, although it is very questionable what I could do from this position. I also keep an ear open to hear the bird song, I will know if the fox is near as the song is replaced by distress calls, this also happens if an owl is nearby.


I notice a blackbird hungrily tucking into the fox food, the pheasant is still eating, as is the blackbird. At last the pheasant has finished, he wanders easily off down the garden, thank goodness the fox comes from the opposite direction. The pheasant moves slowly as if he hasn't a care in the world, which I guess is true as long as he doesn't meet up with Mr. Fox.

It is now 21:35 pm and the blackbird is still eating the fox food, I can see him by the shine of the outside light. I hope by now that the pheasant is safely squatting on one of the high branches, well out of the reach of the fox. Above the lawn bats are flying round and round, just above head height, both large ones and small, I am not familiar with bats so sadly am unable to identify them.

I leave the window for a while and of course this is the very time the fox chooses to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment