Sunday 24 April 2011

Red Beetle

Last autumn I noticed with surprise how very large the Acanthus Mollis had grown. It is a great plant and comes up freshly green and beautifully mounded every year. It doesn't mind where it is planted, sun or shade. Plant it in the driest spot possible and it will still look breathlessly beautiful, when in flower and also very attractive when only a mound of leaves. Its common name is Bears Breeches.

I have a great affection for this plant with its mound of large, mid to dark green, classically shaped beautiful leaves and strange tall flower spires, with their purplish flowers, followed by large, fat, round seeds hiding under a hood and sitting on a prickly platform, which must have evolved to protect the seeds from predators.

It is a wonderfully architectural plant and when in flower more than 6 feet tall. Mine was now enormous and more than 10 feet across, it had however taken more than ten years to reach this size and I must admit it did look stunning.

I'm sure these are the leaves that inspired the design on some classical columns.


This spring noticing it was again fulfilling its promise, I bent down to stroke the shiny new leaves still furled. As I moved them, I noticed something red at the base of a stem where it met the ground. Further investigation showed it to be a shiny red beetle; it looked suspiciously like a lily beetle, but it had done no harm to the acanthus and I wondered if it had overwintered there. It was an eye catching beetle, because of its very redness.



Looking at the photographs which interestingly show more detail than the naked eye, I wonder if this beetle was newly hatched because the wing cases in the top photograph look crumpled as if they are just straightening out whereas in the second photograph they look a lot less crumpled. So now I wonder if the adult lays eggs which  overwinter in the ground and hatch out in the spring.

If you click on the pictures they enlarge, if you click on the lower picture you will see the beetle has turned its head and there is its tiny face looking back over its shoulder at me.

I looked this beetle up and discovered it was a Cardinal Beetle (Pyrochroa coccinea) its foods are; nectar, sap and other sweet liquids. A very similar species to this is the Pyrochroa serraticornis, which has a red head.

No comments:

Post a Comment