Sunday 10 April 2011

New Duck

We are enjoying the company of a new female duck, she is an unusual blonde/ginger colour and very pretty. Her partner is a male mallard and she has the distinctive horizontal tail stripe of a mallard, but otherwise looks completely different. She is entirely new to our garden and I wonder why she came here. It is as though she knew not only the garden but also us, because the first time I saw her she was swimming around in the pond, and as soon as I called out of the window, although she couldn't see me, she left the water, crossed the lawn and came hurrying round the side of the bungalow to the window where I was waiting with food.


I wondered if she was reared here and seeing her only with her baby coat on perhaps I am unable to recognise the adult she has become. It is as if she knows us though, because when I was in the garden she fearlessly approached me, obviously for food and waited patiently while I went indoors to fetch her something.
Perhaps her mate was bred here and he is the one who brought her to our garden.

There are times when I wish these creatures and I could talk, there are so many questions unanswered!

No comments:

Post a Comment