Friday 10 June 2011

Magpies and Ants

The young magpies are here every day. They are almost the same size as their parents, just fractionally smaller, and a little slimmer. The female magpie looks very much the worse for wear; her brood patch is still bald and her side and back feathers look very disheveled. Around her neck she looks almost bare and decidedly scraggy. Gone is the sleek, glossy, well-fed bird of such a short while ago.

After they had cleared the food put out for them this morning, along with the jackdaws and pigeons, the magpies stayed on the lawn, poking about. Eventually all left save one, I can only think he had found an ants nest, he spent several minutes pecking away before he also flew away.

As I moved from the side kitchen window to the end window and looked out I saw another magpie: the tatty looking female. She was at the pond's edge and pecking at the ground by a stone. I watched her for several minutes and I can only assume that like her youngster she was filling up on the ants from an ant's nest.

Suddenly she stopped pecking and started jumping up and down while shaking herself, still doing this she suddenly began frantically flapping her wings and scratching herself, while turning her head from side to side and ruffling her few remaining neck feathers. I can only assume this was the ant's revenge for her dining on their colony!

This afternoon I spotted a young great spotted woodpecker on the bird table. This is the first time I have seen this.

No comments:

Post a Comment