Tuesday 25 October 2011

Ladybirds

We have been enjoying an exceptionally mild spell of weather for this time of year, the result is a profusion of ladybirds - many hundreds coating the white walls outside.

I seem to remember a few years ago I was at once charmed by the vast numbers of strange ladybirds in the garden, and almost immediately concerned because of the reports of these European insects invading our shores. It was thought that they would over run our natural ladybirds and even eat them, fortunately this doesn't seem to have happened.

We have had very few ladybird sightings in the garden this summer and those we have had have all been our natural ladybirds. However the last few days I have been amazed at the numbers I have seen, they collect on the white walls and windows and are a very mixed bunch with almost as many of our native species as there are foreign - where have they been all summer?

I do feel reassured that perhaps the danger to our native ladybirds is not after all as great as was feared, certainly I have witnessed no aggression between any of them and have not seen any of ours devoured by their cousins - I hope this proves to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment