Saturday 23 June 2012

Goldcrest fledglings

We often see Goldcrests in the garden, they have been a garden visitor for as long as we have lived here and can be spotted all year round, usually in the silver birch tree. They are pretty little birds and easily identified by the stripe running from front to back on their heads, which in a male is orange/orangy yellow and in a female is yellow, in both sexes there is a black stripe edging the main one. The wings have a dark mark on them and two small white lines.

Today while I was at the end of the garden I became aware of the tiny call of a young bird, it was very soft and I wasn't sure which bird it belonged to, following the sound with my eyes but standing absolutely still, I saw the birds in question and was so delighted on seeing them to realise they were goldcrest fledglings.

There were four of them and they were in a conifer, a leylandii. Goldcrests are restless little birds and once you have watched them moving about, it is very easy to pick them out, their movements being quite different to other birds.

I watched them for several minutes and listened to them, they were calling all of the time, and for as long as I watched them I wished I had my camera with me. Eventually the longing to photograph these tiny fledglings became too great and I slipped quietly away.

Alas on my return they were no longer there!

Goldcrests are our smallest bird. Their nest is made of lichen, moss, small twigs and cobwebs and is cup shaped. It is built in conifers in what appears to be a precarious position, very close to the end of the twiggy end parts of conifer branches, and although it looks precariously balanced it seems quite safe, having been fixed to the branch with sticky cobwebs. Even in windy weather it stays in place swaying with the branches to which it is attached.

They eat spiders, caterpillars and insects, apparently goldcrests find it difficult to retain fat and because they have so little reserves, cold winters are challenging for them and if it is very severe they succumb to the cold. They have two clutches of eggs a year and are capable of producing high numbers of young, therefore off setting the danger of their breed being totally wiped out by successive cold winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment