Wednesday 4 June 2014

Do Slugs Eat Worms?

The answer is a resounding , "Yes, slugs definitely eat worms".

I know this for a fact because today on the garage forecourt, I glanced down and saw a fat slug with a large worm in two pieces, one was on the tarmac in front of the slug and the other was in the slug's mouth.


As I watched one half was slowly but surely disappearing into the slug. Prior to this if anyone had asked me this about slugs and worms, I would have said I have never seen evidence of this myself or heard of it happening.

However now after having knelt motionless in the rain watching this happening, I can categorically write, slugs do eat worms!

This begs the question of why I didn't rescue the worm or at least the uneaten half. The reason i did not rescue the worm was because one half was very firmly in the slug's mouth and the other half appeared lifeless, even when touched.


Some of you may be thinking rescue a worm, why would anyone do that?

Well, I have to admit that I do rescue worms, whenever or wherever I find them needing help. For instance waterlogged in the pond or a large puddle, I fish them out and find a quiet, shady, earthy place to lay them, gently covering them in case a passing bird finds them. Drying on a path I again move them to a safe place.

I have no objection to them being eaten by birds and moles, worms are a substantial and necessary part of their diet. In fact when gardening I will often throw a worm to a robin loitering nearby.

Worms seem to me to be a valuable creature to be treasured -- especially when they are helping to make my compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment