Tuesday 3 June 2014

Interesting Blackbird Behaviour

Just after 2:00 p.m. yesterday I noticed two male adult blackbirds, on the lawn outside the lounge patio windows.

One blackbird was chasing the other, then the one being chased would stop, turn and start chasing the chaser. This behaviour continued for several minutes at a time, it was interrupted at intervals by one of them leaving the lawn and flying into the cherry tree or onto the garage roof, quickly followed by the other. however as soon as the second one landed the first one flew back down onto the lawn again, swiftly followed by the other. This was followed by more of the chasing behaviour.

This odd behaviour continued for the next six hours until 8:00 p.m. There was no visible or audible aggression, in fact it looked to me as if there were both enjoying it. Unless they were flying there was no opening of wings, no rushing at each other, no physical contact whatsoever.

Today I kept a watch for them, this morning only one blackbird appeared, he spent much of the time feeding on the lawn. Late morning he disappeared.

Late afternoon, I glanced out of the window and saw the two blackbirds back again and indulging in the same odd behaviour, I don't know how long it had been going on but it only lasted another twenty minutes.

This is the first time I have seen this behaviour and I found it fascinating. It certainly did not look territorial, I have seen many territorial disputes between blackbirds and this was not one.

Does anyone reading this have an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment