Friday 4 February 2011

Dunnock Interplay

Today I watched interesting aggressive behaviour between dunnocks. I put the bird food out as usual and a dunnock was first on the scene, as he ate, another dunnock flew at him very fast, stopped and settled just in front of him. He swiftly leaned down so his head was close to the ground and his chest was resting on it. Next he spread his wings slightly and slowly advanced, the first dunnock retreated a few steps before flying away.

The second dunnock gained nothing by his aggressive behaviour because as he picked up his first beakful of seed a robin flew down and chased him away.

I found this show of aggression interesting because this is the first time I have witnessed a territorial display between dunnocks, I have watched them for many years and they have always fed happily together.

No comments:

Post a Comment