Saturday 11 February 2012

Bullying Magpies - A Disturbing Sight

This morning I put the food out for the wildlife as usual, it was very cold at 8a.m. according to the computer it was minus thirteen degrees, so I can't imagine how cold it must have been during the night. With temperatures like these there was little chance of the snow melting yet. The birds and squirrels were tucking in to their food and I went to have my bowl of porridge.

Finishing I carried my bowl to the kitchen and looking out of the side window I noticed the food had almost gone. On opening the window to put more out, I heard a lot of very loud distressed bird screeching sounds. There was nothing to be seen from this window so pulling it shut I moved to look out of the end window and there it was.

Four magpies! Three of them appeared to be attacking the fourth who was underneath the others on his back. The noise was awful, they were pecking him and pulling at his already out stretched wings.

Suddenly it was over as one magpie extricated himself and flew a few feet away, holding in his beak a biscuit, the others released their hold on the down trodden one and he very unsteadily stood up. He was dishevelled and slow to move and when he did so he was very unsteady on his feet and he had definitely lost his typical magpie bounce and strut.

I have never seen magpies gang up and set on one of their own kind before and I hope I never see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment