Saturday 4 February 2012

Farewell to the huge flocks of fieldfares and redwings


With hardly any fruit left on the malus or cotoneaster --- perhaps I should explain the latter is not a bush but an enormous tree --- we no longer are visited by the huge one hundred plus strong flocks of fieldfares and redwings. They still come but only in ones, twos or threes. I shall miss these very attractive birds.

It is still bitterly cold and snow is expected. Bird baths emptied of their ice and refilled freeze within minutes and the broken ice on the pond is also quick to freeze over, which leaves the birds and mammals nowhere to drink or bathe.

I am trying to work out a way to provide the birds with an unfrozen supply of water, but so far have not come up with anything. I shall keep working on it, I believe the answer is probably easy but I have to change the way I am looking at it!

Delighted to once again see a charm of goldfinches in the garden today, also long tailed tits have frequented the fat balls and a little cole tit has been here again, on both the hanging peanuts and the bird table.

No comments:

Post a Comment