Friday 14 January 2011

Black Gold

Today I walked round the garden, and was pleased to find one of the compost bins full of the richest black earth. It always makes me smile to see this and remember a relatively short time ago, this bin was full of vegetable peelings, torn newspaper and cardboard. Many years ago I didn't put cardboard in, then I read that the worms like it to breed in, so I started using it, since then I have seen the evidence of this with my own eyes and now use cardboard regularly.

The pleasure of turning a soggy piece of decomposing cardboard and finding a tangle of tiny early stage worms, ready to venture forth and spend the whole of their life happily eating, while at the same time being so productive for me and my garden, is pure joy.

The worms I use are called brandlings and are readily available from stores selling fishing tackle. A fisherman friend bought me my first and only tub in either 1987 or 1988, and these are their descendants. Each time the bins are emptied the worms go onto the garden to carry on their good work, when I start a new bin I take a spadeful of rotting compost from another bin to kick start the process as there are always worms in every bin.

I call my compost my black gold! It always feels like treasure.

Remember never to put any cooked food in to compost as it will attract rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment