Sunday 30 January 2011

Fat Balls, Long Tailed Tits and Squirrels !

I hang fat balls out primarily for the tits, but have enjoyed seeing robins, starlings and blackbirds clinging -- albeit sometimes precariously -- to the fat ball holders. I am most pleased when I see a gathering of long tailed tits clustered around the balls and filling themselves with goodness this cold weather, although of course I am always pleased to see blue, great, cole or long tailed tits feeding there. Underneath is to be seen a gathering of birds feeding on the ground, dunnocks, robins and blackbirds. Both robins and blackbirds will tolerate each other, but are extremely territorial with their own kind.

Long tailed tits, however, are the birds that always bring a smile to my face, they are so pretty with such tiny bodies and long tails and are such a joy to watch as they cling harmoniously to the ball feasting together.


Now we have a fat ball intruder, one of the young squirrels has found the fat ball holder and in next to no time demolishes the fat ball, thereby shortening the life of a fat ball from four days to one. I think I might see if I can find a squirrel proof fat ball bird feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment