Wednesday 26 January 2011

Papworth and Back and Snowdrops

Traveled to Papworth today, along the A414, A10 and the A1198, through a typically English landscape; how glad I am to live in this green and pleasant land.

We passed rows of poplars, which even in their deciduous state are still stately and eye-catching. Bordering  the roadside were a variety of trees and shrubs most of them winter bare, sometimes thickly knitted together, other times quite sparse and there were even stretches devoid of any tree or shrub.

Two of my favourites were the old, gnarled and lichen covered hawthornes, with here and there a winter darkened berry still attached, and also silver birches, their white trunks shining brightly amidst the often dingy, leafless shrubbery surrounding them on these dismal days, their tiny new catkins just forming.

We also saw many of my very favourite tree, the oak in all its stages, my heart always sings when I see a sapling oak and I know with a little luck it will be standing in hundreds of years to come, supporting so many life forms both directly and indirectly. To look across a field and see one of these venerable old trees standing so solidly, looking so beautiful and being such a support system is a treasured moment.

Just before Royston, the road is banked on either side and the ground covered by ivy, as we pass I wonder about the tiny creatures living amongst the ivy, sheltered by its leaves and hidden from our view.

The catkins are really long now and delicately yellow, such a joy to see. There is something so precious about a hazel catkin, I find a whole bush of them breathtakingly beautiful. It is the same feeling I have, as when I see my first primrose.Yesterday I checked the garden for them, no sign. Last year they were out long before now.


I found many, many clumps of snowdrops, such a delicate little flower, and yet so strong to push its way out of the cold, hard, wet ground, continue growing and to then flower in the worst of weather. Their delicate looks belie their immense strength.

I was delighted to see a kestrel hovering above the verge on the A1198, the second one I have seen recently.

Dusk was falling as we drove home and just out of Papworth, our car headlamps picked out a muntjac deer munching the grass on the verge, he was dangerously close to the road. I wonder how many other people noticed him and saw how vulnerable he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment