Tuesday 15 July 2014

Beautiful Beetle

While watching T.V. yesterday evening I felt what I thought was a spider on my leg. Closer inspection proved it to be a beetle - a very large one with enormous feelers! It had obviously come in through the patio doors, earlier in the day.

I caught it in a jar, inspecting it in the electric light I thought how drab it looked. Next morning I released it into the garden, first on to the lawn where it froze and didn't look happy, so I moved it to a flower.


Once here it was much happier and immediately bent its head forward, looking closely I could see its mouth parts engaging with the centre of the flower. I fetched some water and carefully placed a droplet close to him, whereupon he turned his head and drank.

The longer I watched him, the more I became aware of the subtle beauty of his colouring and markings. His feelers, for instance, were striped across in alternate bands of pale turquoise and black. Where the head met the thorax was a beige triangle, while on the long wing cases were very tiny speck like spots of pale turquoise.

To think that last night I had thought him a dull looking creature!

No comments:

Post a Comment