Tuesday 8 July 2014

Green Orb Weaver Spider?

One evening, a few days ago I noticed a pretty spider on the side of the bathroom window, she had a pale green abdomen and the head, thorax and legs looked a beige colour. I hesitated to put her out as opening a window would allow mosquitoes in, so I left her there.

Next morning she was still there and beside her was a long packet of eggs, again I left her. The following day she was still in place by her eggs. Next morning although she was still by her eggs, she seemed very weak and when I gently blew on her (thinking she was dead) she hardly moved, however inside the egg sac I noticed a lot of movement. How could I move her or her egg sac now without harming any of them, so I decided once more to leave them in situ. Next morning the situation looked the same except on closer inspection I realised the mother was dead, but there was much life within the egg sac.

This morning I went to check on them and found the egg sac empty and the dead mother gone. There was no sign of her or the spiderlings on the windowsill, wall or floor. Did they eat their mother?

Another interesting fact is that no web was made, the egg sac was in the angled edge of the window where it met the wall.

I am not even certain that this spider was a green orb weaver spider, but would be interested to have comments from anyone who is familiar with this spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment