Saturday 19 July 2014

Muntjac Deer Visitor

While looking out of the kitchen window, a movement on the bank caught my eye, very slowly turning my head I saw our old visitor the muntjac deer, his nose just visible from the overgrown undergrowth. Not daring to move, I froze and waited, slowly he came forward, tentatively, hesitantly until I could see all of his head. Cautiously he stretched his neck and raised his head, scenting the air, he was as still as a statue. Feeling more sure of his safety he moved forward, now I was able to see the whole of his neck, again he waited and scented the air.

Now he felt very safe and stepped boldly forward, I was filled with such emotion, he was so beautiful. I was struck by how strong and fit he looked. Such a magnificent, wild creature and less than five feet from me, what an amazing view. I felt so lucky. I wanted to fetch my camera, but didn't dare move.

For a few minutes he stood motionless, then slightly lowering his horned head he gently and slowly turned it from side to side, looking first one way then the other. He spent the next seven minutes slowly wandering around and across the back kitchen lawn, before disappearing into the shrubs and on to the left hand back lawn.

The rest of the morning he spent on this lawn cropping the apple tree and resting. Amazingly where the muntjac appeared from this morning is the same spot that yesterday I saw a grass snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment