Friday 18 July 2014

Female Grass Snake Basking

A beautiful bright, sunny morning. Surprised to see on glancing out of the back kitchen window the huge, female, resident grass snake. She does not usually bask so near the house or in such an open space, during the summer it is much more usual to see her either in the pond or under a bush.

She was coiled up - not smoothly but in a hotch potch manner - on the back kitchen lawn near to the bank and quite close to the base of the bird house. The sun was bright and that patch of lawn must have been temptingly warm.

This is the first time I have seen her this summer and I went to fetch my camera, but was saddened on my return to see her disappearing into the undergrowth on the bank.

I feel pleased to have grass snakes living here as I once read that snakes are a sign of a good wildlife garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment